Goerges and surprising Andreescu to meet in ASB final

Open this

Andreescu won 11 straight games against Williams after losing the first set and falling behind 1-0 in the second set.

Maria Sharapova yesterday retired from her match at the Shenzhen Open with an injury, giving top seed Aryna Sabalenka a spot in the semi-finals.

"I feel like right now I'm really confident in myself, and I feel like the off-season training that I've been doing is really paying off".

Goerges is the defending champion and ousted Eugenie Bouchard of Westmount, Que., earlier in the week on her way back to the championship match. "Bianca's going to be in tough tonight with Goerges, but I think she's going in there with not much to lose". "My goal was only to qualify and maybe get a couple of rounds in but now I beat a couple of top players so who knows?"

Prior to falling to world No. 14 Goerges, she knocked out former world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark and American Venus Williams, then cruised past 28th-ranked Hsieh Su-Wei of Taiwan in the semifinals.

There was little between the two players in the final set, where the quality of tennis was high considering the hard conditions.

World No. 143 Andreescu saved 10 of the 12 break points she faced in a resolute display, managing to break through herself twice in each set on the Wozniacki serve to secure a 6-4, 6-4 victory.

Kuzmova went on a run to win five points in a row and at least was able to get on the board. Goerges had two match points at 6-4 but blew both of them with some poor tennis.

Andreescu has one more match to play in Auckland.

I tried to stay patient and aggressive. I had an unbelievable week, I beat a lot of top players.

"It is disappointing, I was one game away from winning the match, so I'll probably be thinking about this for the next couple of days", said Andreescu, who earned entry into the tournament as a qualifier.

"I guess Auckland brings out the best in me. I want to have it in my hands, I want to play my game and that's it".

Related news:

Hot News

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Chicago also waives Payne, gets Brooks & Selden from Memphis
Jan 07, 2019 - 07:14
It will open considerable opportunity at small forward for rookie Chandler Hutchison , whose minutes have increased of late. So guess what the response was to the report of the second and very real MarShon Brooks trade?

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Cathay Pacific sells £12,000 business-class seats for £530 in ticketing blunder
Jan 05, 2019 - 10:45
In 2014, Singapore Airlines made a similar mistake. "When I did the math, what I paid is at about a 95 percent discount", he said. The mistakes don't always end up being honored by the airlines though. "I would've been fine if you'd chose to cancel".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Rishabh Pant becomes first Indian wicket-keeper to score Test ton Down Under
Jan 05, 2019 - 10:41
Australia sped to 50 within seven overs of play on this third morning, adding 27 runs in 29 minutes of play in the morning. At stumps on day one, they were 303 for four with the rock-like No3 not out 130 and Hanuma Vihari on 39.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Emery plays down negative reaction from Arsenal fans to Lacazette substitution
Jan 05, 2019 - 10:33
Unai Emery took off Lacazette for Aaron Ramsey during the win and saw the sub score their third. We had to stay more concentrated in every circumstance".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Trump Claims Pelosi Told Him Dems 'Are Not Looking To Impeach You'
Jan 05, 2019 - 10:00
Trump is withholding his support for a bill that would fully fund the government until he secures money for the wall. Asked whether he had considered declaring a national emergency to build the wall, Trump said: "Yes, I have".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Sarri wants striking reinforcements for Blues, Latest Football News
Jan 05, 2019 - 09:33
Pedro and Callum Hudson-Odoi are already injured and Willian came off in the first half as a precaution. Sarri added "I'm not in charge of the market".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Flu cases on the rise; H1N1 most prevalent strain
Jan 05, 2019 - 08:11
The number of flu cases to date this season (1,457) is comparable to the number of cases at the same time last season (1,411). This year's vaccine is well matched to the circulating strains of flu and a lot of vaccine is available, Brammer added.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Bird Box: Netflix Reveals How Many Accounts Watched in its First Week
Jan 03, 2019 - 09:09
Being clear-eyed about Netflix's Twitter brags doesn't mean that we have to be unimpressed with Bird Box's success. The Hollywood Reporter's Daniel Feinberg isn't quite so positive.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top NASA shares first close-up images of distant Ultima Thule
Jan 03, 2019 - 07:31
New Horizons captured the images from a distance of around 50,000 miles from the surface of Ultima Thule . After it coasted through, NASA selected Ultima Thule as the next observational target and set a course.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Austin Waugh gets special call-up for fourth Test
Jan 03, 2019 - 07:13
The main difference between both the sides in the series so far is number of fifty-plus stands. More importantly, it will be the first ever Test series win for India on the Australian soil.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top During Shutdown, National Parks Are Not Doing Well
Jan 03, 2019 - 07:12
Yosemite National Park is open and free because there are no rangers to collect entry fees. "A nightmare scenario", he says. At some parks, private companies have jumped in to handle some the maintenance normally handled by federal employees.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Minivan Slams Into New Year's Revelers In Tokyo, Injuring 8 People
Jan 01, 2019 - 19:42
A police spokesman said the driver had been detained but has not given out any further details on the identity of the suspect. A 21-year-old suspect, named as Kazuhiro Kusakabe, was arrested and being questioned, Tokyo Metropolitan Police said.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Putin tells Trump that Moscow is open for dialog
Jan 01, 2019 - 19:24
Russian president Vladimir Putin has extended an invitation to USA president Donald Trump to discuss policy between the two nations in 2019.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Clemson, Alabama ‘mirror images of each other’ entering title game, Dabo says
Jan 01, 2019 - 19:02
The teams were ranked first and second to begin the season, and Saban said he isn't surprised the two are playing for the title. "I think both teams are kind of mirror images of each other, to be honest with you", Swinney said.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Kim calls for corresponding USA measures, ready to meet Trump
Jan 01, 2019 - 16:51
President Donald Trump hailed his June 12 summit in Singapore with Kim Jong-un as a breakthrough, and has expressed interest in a second meeting.